Lanterns on the Lawn: A Family Campout at Tryon Palace
Bring the family and your camping gear for a night under the stars at our 2017 Spring Lanterns on the Lawn: A Family Campout on the Tryon Palace South Lawn to benefit the Tryon Palace Foundation.
Campers can reserve 15-foot square plots on the South Lawn for a campsite and set up for the evening. Setup begins 2:00–6:00 p.m. Saturday. The Tryon Palace Gardens and Garden Shop will remain open until dusk to allow campers to walk through the gardens, and purchase items from store.
Saturday evening activities will continue with crafts, lawn games, an All-American dinner buffet of hamburgers and hot dogs, making s’mores, a campfire sing-a-long, and a 15-minute moonlit walk through the Wilderness Garden with glow sticks.
Wake up on Sunday to a breakfast of coffee, juice, doughnuts, and fruit, followed by a sunrise garden walk and family yoga session.
All camping equipment and other personal belongings must be removed by 10 a.m. Sunday.
Suggested items to bring include:
Tent, ground cover, sleeping bag, air mattress (with air pump), pillow, blanket, change of clothes, walking shoes, flashlight, tent lantern, insect repellent, first aid kit, camping chair, small wagon for supplies, binoculars, stargazing guide, camera, yoga mats.
Campers can bring food and nonalcoholic beverages, as well as coolers, ice chests, picnic baskets, and plastic storage containers. Beverages not purchased onsite must be in factory-sealed, non-glass containers. Cooking onsite is prohibited.
Restroom facilities have sinks and toilets. Campers must bring their own soap and toiletries. There will also be Porta-Potties on the South Lawn for use.
Rules and Regulations:
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or other responsible adult. Each individual participant must be registered. No one will be admitted unless registered.
- Adults are responsible for themselves and the children with them. Because of risks of injury associated with the premises, including the outdoor landscaping, children must be supervised at all times.
- Children cannot be dropped off or left unsupervised.
- Participants should behave at all times in a courteous and safe manner.
- Smoking is not permitted on grounds.
- The following are prohibited: Alcoholic beverages; unlawful possession or use of drugs or any illegal substance; feeding animals, including birds; firearms and other weapons; glass containers; grills; ground fires; motorized vehicles; flying objects; loud music; pets (other than approved service animals); swimming, entering the gardens/deviating from marked walking paths.
- Tryon Palace and the Foundation reserve the right to refuse entry to the event by any person and to direct any person to leave the event at any time.
Admission: $60 for groups of up to four guests, $50 for Tryon Palace Foundation Members. $100 for groups exceeding five guests, $90 for Tryon Palace Foundation Members. Campsites not to exceed eight guests. Children aged 5 and under are free and also not part of the campsite head count.